16 May 2010

BA-BOOM


The ba-boom-ba-boom-ba-boom of my rapidly beating heart thumped me abruptly awake. Panic. Confusion. Fear. What was that noise? A gun-shot? Where am I? A shout....and I strain to search with sleepy eyes into the inky-dark of another world...a chocolate-skinned woman with a turbaned-head shaking a broom at a figure retreating backwards, who stumbles over a low stone wall, his hand raised, clutching something that clinks metallically as his hand comes down to stabilise himself on the wall..is that a gun? Where am I?

My racing heart slows with realisation....I'm safe. I'm in my bed up in the mountains above Positano....a long, long way from South Africa, my birth-place; a long way from being 'on-alert' all the time; a long way from Then....

....Now I walk freely, using my God-given limbs to move me. I climb almost 400 steps to reach the road above, or 1300 down to the centre of town, passing stalagtites - roughly-hewn columns seemingly supporting the limestone-mountain - and terraced groves of lemon-tree's .... I'm free! No gyms for me! No need for a stepping machine here.  No need for big walls, electric fences, security alarms and armed patrols either.  No need.



I love this about living here in Positano - it's an oasis contained by the mountains behind us and the sea in front...beyond lies another story...but here, although not untouched by modern-day evils, still exists a liberty to Be.

And to Be a part of this dreamscape is to wake up every morning with Pleasure, with Delight, with Thanks...that I can step out and Touch the World .. with Peace, with Love, with Joy.




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Absolutely a treasure...you are so lucky to wake up everyday in one of the most beautiful, peaceful and abundant places on earth...my plans are to return again and again and again
Cheers,
JoAnn